Find Shelter at Good Samaritan Haven
We currently operate facilities in Berlin, Barre, and Barre Town.
If you need shelter:
If you are seeking shelter at any of Good Samaritan Haven’s locations, you must call between 7:00AM and 3:00PM, Monday through Friday. Good Sam shelter staff will no longer perform intakes with individuals seeking shelter beds outside of the stated hours of admission.
Call Good Sam’s main number (802)479-2294 and speak with our Good Sam Intake Coordinator.
During the call the Intake Coordinator will review your eligibility criteria to determine whether you are a candidate for the shelter. If you meet Good Sam’s established eligibility criteria, and if a bed is available, you will meet with the Intake Coordinator in person between the hours of 7:00AM – 3:00PM to do intake paperwork and orient to the space and settle into the shelter. If for some reason the Intake Coordinator is unavailable, a Shelter Manager may perform the eligibility review and intake processes during the above stated hours.
If individuals are in need of camping equipment, please call the Good Sam Street Outreach Team at 815-714-8686.
Good Samaritan Haven welcomes those in need of emergency housing. We will do our best to share housing, food, and housing assistance resources to help guests and treat them with decency and respect. Guests of Good Samaritan Haven must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be homeless* and in need of emergency housing
- Must be an adult (age 18 or over). Minors are not eligible.
- Must be ambulatory (capable of basic self-care like bathing, dressing, and feeding oneself)
- Must be in good standing with Good Samaritan Haven and law enforcement (without warrant or house arrest)
- Must not be unduly under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol at the time of admission as determined by Good Samaritan Haven
- Individuals who are listed on the Vermont Sex Offenders Registry are ineligible for housing at Seminary Street and South Barre Road locations
Individuals seeking a bed are required to meet with Good Samaritan Haven staff as soon as possible to determine their eligibility through completion of GSH’s Intake Assessment Procedure. If a person does not meet the criteria above, Good Samaritan Haven staff may offer a referral to Economic Services (7:45 AM-4:30 PM) or 2-1-1 (after 4:30 PM) for help.
*Homeless as defined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. See the definition at the following website: homeless definition
Our Shelter Network
Motel Support Services
Hilltop Inn, Berlin
Good Sam staff now helps guests at the Hilltop Inn with their support service needs–especially seeking housing outside of the motel. There is great urgency to house these individuals as State assistance is expected to phase out early next spring.