VolunteerVolunteers play a crucial role in the Good Samaritan Haven’s services.
The Good Samaritan Haven relies on volunteers to keep the shelter running smoothly. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities available for all ages, and can accommodate either groups or individuals. We are always in need of new volunteers at the shelter, and would love to have your help. Please review the volunteer opportunities available, and contact our staff about becoming part of our team!
Prepare a Meal: Each night we serve a free meal for shelter guests that has been prepared by volunteers. Inquiries from individuals, groups or service organizations interested in cooking are welcome. You can cook a meal once a month or bring a side dish to supplement the meal. Homemade cookies and holiday pies make our guests feel a little more like they are home. To sign-up please contact our Shelter Manager, Judi Joy, at (802) 479-2294 or by e-mail email@example.com.
Evening Volunteers Needed to Serve Dinner at Shelter: Good Samaritan Haven seeks new volunteers to help serve dinner nightly at the shelter from 6:00-8:00pm. Volunteers are needed to assist with serving, preparation, and clean-up of the evening meal. Volunteer opportunities are also available in the evening to sort donations or help with light admin tasks. We are hoping to find some new people who are able to commit to volunteering on a regular basis. This is a great way to interact with our guests and to provide direct support to those in need. Email Brooke Jenkins if you are interested in learning more about evening volunteer opportunities.
Overnight Volunteer: We currently need additional overnight volunteers to supervise guests. Each night, a volunteer is needed to staff the shelter during the overnight hours of operation between 9:00 PM to 7:00 AM. Volunteers spend the night in the private, volunteer room. They are responsible for announcing lights out at 11:00 PM, and for waking up guests to leave by 7:00 AM. If you are interested, please contact our Shelter Manager, Judi, Joy, at (802) 479-2294 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other volunteer opportunities:
- Securing donations from individuals and businesses in the community
- Sorting and organizing food and clothing donations
- Processing fresh fruits and vegetables and preparing them for future meals
- Assembling “Cold Weather Bags” to hand out through the Outreach Program
- Planting and maintaining the garden
- Helping out in the office
- Cleaning the common areas
- Organizing and cleaning the basement/attic
- Painting (interior or exterior)
- Doing maintenance and/or repairs
- Volunteering your Trade Skills: plumbing, carpentry, electrical work, cutting hair, etc.
- Leading art projects, workshops, or other learning opportunities
Providing transportation for guests to medical appointments, job interviews, etc.
- Recruiting other volunteers
- Raising awareness about homelessness through community events and special projects